Data Breach & Privacy Guides | Data Privacy Resources
From data breach studies to cyber security statistics,
this is a data privacy resource page from your data privacy authority.
Data Breach Studies
- 2016 Breach Level Index Report - A comprehensive report of 2016 data breach statistics.
- 2017 Global Data Privacy Snapshot - A report from DLA Piper, examining the various sectors and how the organizations within them compared to others regarding data privacy.
- 2017 Thales Data Threat Report - A look at how the U.S. and Global Federal Agencies are handling data threats.
- 2017 State of Consumer Privacy and Trust Report - Gigya Poll with valuable insights on the attitudes toward security and privacy in the Digital Age.
- 2017 Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report - An understanding of the numerous data breach threats at hand and how to mitigate them.
- Identity Theft Resource Center: 2016 End of Year Report - A look at the reported data breaches that occurred in 2016.
- Kaspersky Lab - Damage Control: The Cost of Security Breaches - A report on the types of data breaches that occur, how they occur and what they can cost a company.
- Online Trust Alliance 2017 Cyber Incident & Breach Readiness Guide - A guide to assist organizations in enhancing data protection and preparing for a breach incident.
- Ponemon Institute’s 2017 Cost of Data Breach Study - Released June 2017! - A look at the average costs, common factors, consequences, and global trends related to data breach incidents in 2017.
- Ponemon Institute’s 2016 Cost of a Data Breach Study - A look at the average costs, common factors, consequences, and global trends related to data breach incidents in 2016.
- Risk Based Security: 2016 Year End Data Breach Report - A compilation of data breach statistics for 2016, including number and type of incidents, number of records exposed, repeat offenders, and more.
- Skyhigh Report: Average Enterprise Experiences More Than 16 Insider Threats… - A report on the types of sensitive information stored in cloud services and the types of user and insider threats that are most common.
Data Breach Guides
- Federal Trade Commission Data Breach Response - Guidance from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) on how to respond if your company experiences a data breach.
- Federal Trade Commission’s Protecting Personal Information: A Guide for Business - Practical tips for businesses on creating and implementing a plan for safeguarding personal information.
- Stroz Friedberg: Data Breach Strikes - Learn best practices for effective cooperation between privacy and technical experts in the event of a data breach.
Cyber Security Statistics
- FBI Internet Crime Report - Statistics on trending scams such as Business Email Compromise (BEC), ransomware, tech support fraud, and extortion.
- Latest Proofpoint Threat Report - Quarterly analysis of email, Web-based, Mobile, and Social attacks. One finding: email threats are highest on Thursdays.
- 10 Hard-hitting Cyber Security Statistics - Statistics to take into consideration when reviewing your company’s cyber security.
- 100 Frightening Cyber Security Statistics - A running list of global cyber security statistics compiled by DMR.
- Cyber Security Statistics - Important statistics for small business to know from Small Business Trends.
- Kroll Data Security Statistics - Data security statistics from 2013 and 2014.
- Noteworthy Cyber Security Statistics - A look at 2016’s data breach cost statistics, ransomware, insider threats and more.
- November 2016 Cyber Attacks Statistics - An analysis of the cyber attacks that occurred in November 2016, including the trends and motivations behind the attacks.
Data Privacy: Recommended Articles
- 60% of Small Companies That Suffer a Cyber Security Attack… - Steps that can help your small business avoid a hack that could be extremely costly.
- Biggest Data Breaches in History - An overview of data breaches that occurred from 2004-2016.
- Physical Theft Most Common Data Breach in Practice - Examples of physical theft data breaches and ways to avoid them.
- The Weakest Link in the Cyber-Security Battle: The Human Factor - An explanation of how humans are the biggest cause of data breaches, whether accidentally or maliciously.
- World's Biggest Data Breaches - A compilation of the biggest data breaches across the globe.
Data Privacy: Top Resources
- Ponemon Institute - An organization dedicated to informing organizations on improving their data security practices.
- Privacy Rights Clearinghouse - A chronology of historical data breaches.
- Pew Research Center - An organization that provides information on issues and trends around the world, pertaining to various social sciences.